So I am sure that y’all have come across your fair share of “Essential Hospital Bag Checklists” on Pinterest. I myself, have too.
Honestly though, when I began to prepare for our second baby gal, Lyla Rae, I found myself scouring Pinterest & the Internet for alllllll the must have, essentials. I even consulted with my gal pals, both personal & on social media.
So, I have curated a list of the most essential, totally necessary weekender bag items for your most beautiful & blessed stay at the hospital/birthing center for the delivery of your babes. I’ve also included photographs of what exactly I will be bringing with me, when I go to deliver little miss LR later this month.
What I find most special & unique about this list (verses the rest), is that it isn’t just my take on what-to-pack. Rather, it has been carefully crafted & constructed by myself & all my mama gal pals!
Be sure to leave your “hospital bag” essentials down below in the comments!
- “GOING HOME OUTFIT”:
- If you’re expected to deliver in a warmer season, I personally, would opt for a cotton capri gaucho pant & extra-long t-shirt (bc ya know, you gotta cover up that 100 ft long Maxi you’ll be sportin’! Sssssss’ cute.) I also like to pack a cozy, light zip up or button up. Comfort is key! On the flip side, if you’re expected to deliver during a cooler season, swap out gaucho’s for a sweat pant or loose-fitted legging! Other options include: A light/heavy Juicy tracksuit, a loose-fitted Maxi & loose cotton shorts.
- NURSING BRAS x2
- NOT-SO-SNUG, LOOSE-FITTED UNDIES x3
- I picked up an ultra-affordable pack of 5 (Hanes) from Target!
- SHOWER FLIP FLOPS
- PRO TIP: If expected to deliver during a warmer season, wear your shower flops TO the hospital/birthing facility you’re headed to! One less thing to pack & lug around! If you’re facing some not-to-warm weath, (in addition to packing shower flops), wear a pair of closed toe slip-ons to the hospital/birthing facility! Think L.L. Bean mocs & Skechers slip-on sneaks – Both lightweight and ultra-comfy.
- HAIR BRUSH & TOOTHBRUSH/(TRAVEL-SIZE) TOOTHPASTE/FLOSS
- HAIR TIE/CLIP
- CHAPSTICK !!!
- TRY: MILANI Rose Lip Balm, Rose. Enriched with rose oil, coconut oil & Vitamin D. Also, so cool! pH reacting polymers respond to your unique skin to create a personalized & universally flattering deep rose shade. I found mine here for $8.97! Or Milani’s Rose Lip Mask (HOLY GRAIL)!!!
- TOILETRIES, & JUST THE ESSENTIALS MAMA!
- Unless you’re partial, the hospital SHOULD supply you with body wash/shampoo. If you’re concerned, def call & ask!
- DEF consider packing: Dry shampoo (bc I *can never get myself to shower), (makeup wipes, maybe?), face wash, moisturizer/serum, deodorant.
- If you’re a glasses-wearer, & want to pop in contacts at any point – bring your contacts & solution.
- Any/all medications &/or herbal supplements that you need to take, that won’t be administered by the hospital/birthing center.
- A SMALL MAKEUP CLUTCH, WITH A FEW OF YOUR MAKEUP MUST-HAVES
- Def nothing over-the-top! Just a lil’ somethin’ somethin’ to make yourself feel good (& bit more like yourself) after delivery!
- FOR ME: A tinted moisturizer & CC cream (Thrive’s Buildable Blur CC Cream w/ SPF is to die for), a bit of concealer, bronzer, blush & mascara. Just a simple & fresh-faced look.
- CAR SEAT, W/ NECESSARY NEWBORN INSERT(S)
- PRO TIP: Install the base into your vehicle ahead of time!
- OUTFIT x2:
- 1x for a super cute newborn pic and one 1x for “goin’ home”
- ADDT’L MUST HAVES:
- 2x short sleeve onesies for under his/her outfit;
- 1x beanie &/or cute bow (or none, as the hospital/birthing facility SHOULD & most likely will provide you with a newborn beanie);
- 2x pairs of socks (plus, I like to pack a pair of booties too!); and,
- 2x pairs of no-scratch mittens; My friend Jess recommended Lou Lou’s & God, she was so right! They are seriously the most amazing quality, & are snug enough to stay on babe’s wrists without being overly tight.
- 2x SWADDLE BLANKET
- 2x PACIFIER & PACIFIER CLIP
- I’ve decided to pack 2x BIBS’ & 2x Ryan & Rose Cutie’s to see which LR prefers!
- CAR SEAT CANOPY
- I found mine at TJ Maxx in Oklahoma months ago! I found it online, & have linked it for y’all here! Super affordable – Zulily ($12). It is the sweetest lightweight, lemon-printed soft-cotton blend canopy cover. (If you know, you know! My husband had to talk me out of naming our first daughter, BM, “Lemon” & so instead, I named one of our pups Lemon!)
- SOMETHING “YELLOW” – My sweet mama offered me this bit. It is said to bring blessings & good luck. I brought a yellow, cotton muslin burp cloth to Brooklyn Meadow’s birth, & will be bringing the same to LR’s!
RANDOM, BUT NECESSARY ITEMS:
- Wallet – ID/Insurance card/Credit/debit card
- Phone charger (with an extra-long cord)
- I found this super affordable, 6-ft long charger for my iPhone on Amazon!
RANDOM, BUT NOT-SO-NECESSARY ITEMS:
- Letter board (& letters) for a super cute birth photo. I found my rustic, farmhouse letter board from Amazon. Love!
- A notepad/pen